Japan Tsunami Relief
Classical Music Concert
Christian Reformed Church, 930 Trunk Road, Duncan, BC
Saturday, May 21, 2011
1:30pm – 5:30pm
The Japanese community and friends in Duncan present an afternoon of gorgeous classical music, dramatic narrative and mouth-watering nibbles, by an impressive line-up of some of Vancouver Island’s absolutely finest musical artists and gourmet food artisans.
$15 Adult / $8 Youth (8-18) in advance (reserve your ticket at advance ticket prices by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org for pick up at the door)
$20 / $10 at the door
To view the program and performer bios, click on http://cowichantsunamirelief.org/
Here is a message from the organizers:
Only two months have passed since the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami of March 11, 2011.
It seems like already people are forgetting the unimaginable tragedy and ongoing hardships facing people in the affected areas of Japan.
What is happening with the Fukushima nuclear plants, why are we not hearing any news about the nuclear disaster?
I am inviting you to join us in a very unique concert being organized by the Japanese community and friends in Duncan, next Saturday May 21.
Why you should come:
– It is a high calibre concert featuring many top classical artists from the Cowichan Valley.
– It will make you cry with a real story full of sadness and hope written by a young nurse who was dispatched to the disaster zone.
– It will be a unique event, with an interweaving of narration and music, each complementing the other.
– You will learn how a certain community managed to have a 99% survival rate despite the tsunami.
– A former researcher in nuclear chemistry in Japan will present the current status of the Fukushima nuclear plants and what the impacts will be to our global and local community (radiation levels in children’s schoolyards in Japan, how the salmon this year is safe or not, how we can counteract the risks of radiation).
– You will learn how Japanese scientists continue their voluntary sampling work to investigate and inform the world about what is really happening at the Fukushima nuclear plants, since there is very little official data that is being released.
– You will be supporting nonprofit organizations to directly help the people who are badly affected in the northeastern part of Japan.
– You are invited to mingle with the performers and presenters at a reception following the concert, while enjoying sushi and other treats.
We will be at the Christian Reformed Church, 930 Trunk Road, Duncan, BC May 21 from 2:00 – 4:30.
Please pass this email on to all your friends, let us fill the church to capacity and show our support for the people of Japan!
Cowichan Tsunami Relief